Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Pattern of Walking

These images may look like Christmas lights, but they were created simply by holding a camera on long exposure while walking on the beach at dusk. If you just wave the camera around, the patterns are uninteresting, because they have little cohesion, but just walking straight created unexpectedly interesting results.

They remind me of high school physics, when we learned about cycloids by attaching a light to a bicycle tire. The walking images are more regular than I expected, but also far more convoluted than a cycloid. Just as the hidden motion of the tire was revealed in that experiment, these images must show something fundamental about walking. I'm just not sure what.

2 comments:

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I remember Picasso doing something like this with light except he made images. Did you use a digital camera? Is that possible?

Unknown said...

Yes, this was with a digital camera. I just used a long exposure.